2006-10-06

Formula One Writing

Two weeks in a row: Willie uses a petty trick to mess Daniel up, and it doesn't work. Christina sneakily does something to make Betty's stint at Mode a little more bearable.

I love House. I watch it every week. That's because, as formulaic as it is, it's fun and satisfying. I wouldn't recap it in a million years, though. That's because I hate telling the same whole story week after week. So if Ugly Betty doesn't take a turn of some kind in the next week or two, I'm going to stop recapping. That's not a threat or an ultimatum or anything like that; I'm just saying that if this turns out not to be fun, I don't see the point.

That doesn't mean I won't still watch and enjoy the show. Like I said, I still watch House.

I don't know if there's even a need for these recaps or not. I suspect not. I started this blog because of fond memories reading recaps of other shows I used to like: there was a great Melrose Place recap site, and someone else did some hilarious recaps of Babylon 5 which I can no longer find. Well, it's 10 years later now; if your VCR or DVR or didn't grab the show you like, you can probably download it from someplace. And if you start watching a show after a couple of seasons have already aired, you can rent the DVDs and catch up over a weekend.

Or maybe what I'll do is just skip the "A" plot each week and just cover the story arc. That might be more helpful to people who are just trying to catch up.

I'm just thinking out loud, here. We'll see what happens over the next few weeks as the show begins to hit its stride.

No comments: