2008-05-02

Oh no! It's LiLo!

TV Guide is reporting that Lindsay Lohan is in "advanced discussions" to be in the season finale on May 22.

Well, that's okay. I can take just about anything for one episode. What's really scary is that they're also talking about bringing her in for a story arc next season. Get the rest of the story here.

The truth is that I haven't been enjoying the show as much this season. I thought the first season was brilliant, but I am not so thrilled with the second season. I must not be alone in this, because according to TV Guide, ratings have been going down.

There's been more hype about esteemed guest stars, but less focus and less solid writing. What about Betty's dream to become a writer? What about Ignacio leaving Mexico? (Remember, he was being held at gunpoint, then we hear a gunshot and next thing we know he's at home. Excuse me?) You can let a storyline chill for a while and then bring it back, but if you don't at least mention it once in a while it looks as though you've abandoned it.

Meanwhile, I was not interested in the Renee storyline in the least. It went nowhere and seemed like filler - even while Ignacio's story was left hanging. Daniel already got burned last year, by Salma Hayek. What do we gain by seeing him burned again? And we already knew that Wil is an awful person - I felt it was redundant to have her betray her hitherto-unmentioned sister.

And I had hoped that Amanda's search for her father would go someplace that would advance the plot. Instead, it dead-ended with Gene Simmons. Yawn.

The guest stars typically do walk-ons and utter a few lines that barely contribute to the plot, and then they're gone. This is fun when the guest is someone I like, but I could live without it. I don't know how many people tuned in last night just to see Christian Siriano, but to be honest, if I were not recapping the show I would have been less likely to watch. To me, it's a turnoff when the network promotes a minor celebrity's cameo as if they feel it's the best reason to watch the episode.

Looking at it that way, I suppose I should be grateful that they're considering Lindsay Lohan for a story arc. At least it means there's going to be a story arc... I just hope it goes somewhere.

No comments: